|Conceptual outline of how the solution I’m looking for needs to work.|
The only limitation that I had come across with both the regular DACs and the HDMI units is if the audio signal coming from the AppleTV was not stereo. In that case, the units would not down mix to 2.0 or 2.1 but rather not decode the signal.
|The Gefen HDMI in to HDMI out with analog may be the perfect solution in both features and price.|
Well, I may have found the perfect solution to all the problems in the form of the Gefen HDMI In to HDMI Out with Audio Converter.
- The unit appears to have HDMI passthrough.
- The unit has toslink digital audio out.
- The unit has analog audio out.
- The unit will decode multi-channel audio formats (except lossless formats) into 7.1 analog out.
- It will down-mix multichannel bitstream and multichannel LPCM sources to 2.1 analog!!
- The unit is under $250 (now that’s poor audiophile territory!).